Today I walked probably eight miles, all over Kyoto. I started from my place and made it all the way to Kitaoji and back. At Kitaoji I bought two shirts, shampoo, and what I thought was hand lotion but turned out to be soap.
The other night du ring a nighttime stroll I came across a club down the street by the name of "Mojo-West". Tonight I figured what the hell and walked over. Luckily the guy at the door spoke English and informed me that tonight was jazz night. I went in and ordered a coke and a cheeseburger. I asked the guy when the band would start and he walked over to a group of people off to the side who happend to BE the band, and spoke with them. They all walked over to me and bowed, asking me if I had any requests I would like to make. I told them Jaco, thinking of Alex, and they obliged. They were amazing.
After eating my food I figured I'd see if I could once again take advantage of the lax drinking laws for foreignors, and ordered a white russian, which I believe in Bailey's and milk. The bartender made me one and it was good, so I had another, and another.
During the band's intermission the pianist walked over and talked to me, asking me where I was from and whatnot. He's from Tokyo, and doesn't like Kyoto too much. He asked me how old I was and I told him eighteen, he then yells "EIGHTEEN!?" and I pointed to my drink and said "ssshhh".
"I did not hear anything!" says he, but by that time the bartenders heard. They sort of looked at each other uncomfortably and went "uhhhh."
The pianist informed me that just he and the sax player were going to be playing, I asked him if he heard Ben Folds before, he said he didn't and I had my Ipod with me so I let him listen, he enjoyed it. The bartender walked over to me and awkwardly asked me if I knew what a white russian was, and if I knew it had alcohol in it.
He was obviously trying to point out that I was underrage but was being Japanese about it, totally unconfrontational.
"Uhh, do you know what is in white russian?"
"I think Bailey's and milk?"
"Hmm... well I travel to Paris, they make white russian... no alcohol..."
"Oh really? Im pretty sure it contains alcohol."
"well, okay, so it tastes alright?"
"Yes, very good."
"Okay, Japanese usually do not make."
"Bigger glass is same price, do you want?"
"Sure."
With that he brought me an even bigger glass. That's four white russians, served to a two years underrage American. I love Japan.
I listened to the piano and sax for a good three hours, it sounded fantastic. Finally at about 12:30 they had an intermission and I decided to head out. The band walked over to me and bowed, and we shook hands. I told them I loved them and it was great, and asked them if they were going to have any shows. They said they were playing in Gion at the "Pickup" on Saturday, so I may go there.
Mojo-west has blues tommorrow, then acoustic, and then rock, I'm thinking of going every night, I had so much fun.