Today I went out with Ayako again. It was raining HARD but we decided to go to the Kyoto Botanical Garden. In the garden we decided to go to the Conservatory, since it was outside. We admired all of the plants and spent as long as we could in there. After we left we headed over to the playground with the children's books and we briefly looked at a book about a racoon (tanuki).
In the garden is a sort of cafe, sit down area. We went in there and I bought some animal crackers and a bottle of water. We sat inside for probably three hours, just talking. I explained to her some French and English, and she explained some Japanese. After that we looked around the garden some more then decided to look for a coffee shop.
We walked past the Kyoto Concert Hall and it was packed with cars everywhere. They had some classical music show going on, I would have liked to gone. Right next to the Concert Hall was a coffee shop. We went in and she ordered a cola (cora) and I got an iced coffee (ai-su kohi). I was expecting what I us ually get but instead I got the coffee equivalent to iced tea. Coffee with icecubes. I also got a tray of milk and a little shot glass of liquid sugar. I sweetened it up and it didn't taste too bad. I think the iced coffee beverages are slowly weening me into the mature-sounding coffee addiction everyone over a certain age always seems to tout. Inside the coffee house we talked some more and drew pictures on napkins.
Finally we decided to go down to Kitajo Station, to "Vivre" a big shopping area. We went into the supermarket and I asked about certain foods, such as their japanese name, or what were they.
At around 6 we headed to a Shabu Shabu resturaunt she looked up online. If you didn't know, Shabu Shabu is when they bring a big pot to boil, and then put down trays of thin strips of raw meet, and fresh vegetables. The water gets so hot it cooks the meat instantly, as well as the vegetables. From there you dip the ingredients in and create a large soup of HUGE slimy udon noodles, vegetables, and beef. Then you take it out with chopsticks and dip it in various sauces. It was sooo good and filling. The resturaunt had you take your shoes off at the door, then you sat cross legged on a mat, with a low table. I had to constantly stretch my legs whereas she sat in the same position, with her legs tucked UNDER her, the entire time no problem.
When we were done eating it was time to go, so we walked to Matsugasaki station and said our goodbyes. She took a picture of me eating Shabu Shabu so when she gets online I'll upload it.
Got the picture: